Thursday, September 10, 2009

Get in My Belly!!! - My Rebel Comp Diet

I am not your typical competition prep dieter. In my opinion, having a list only 10 foods long to choose from is not the only way to go. You know what I'm talking about. The green beans, asparagus, broccoli, spinach, chicken, fish, sweet potato, oatmeal, and oils for fats competition diet. Well, I've been there, done that......and in the process completely screwed myself. Let me go back a bit here and tell you about my last attempt at a competition. 


I had an online trainer, and while the program is a good program that provides great results for people, it was not for me. AT. ALL. I have had hypoglycemia since my senior year of high school, although it is much less of an issue these days (which I attribute to my more lenient approach to my eats). Well, combine hypoglycemia with super intense cardio and training, as well as the 10-food-list diet and I was a wreck. I passed out a few times from it, including in the middle of an intense track workout at a local high school. I had serious migraines at least 2-3 times a week. I constantly felt weak and irritable and just plain sick. About 3 weeks out from my show I went to my doctor (after the track incident) and the results were not good. He basically told me to either quit or risk messing up my already sensitive blood sugar to a level in need of daily monitoring and meds. He was very concerned about the final week "hell week" I described to him with even greater restrictions on food, carbs, water, etc. I knew after that visit I couldn't go through with the show. Health was, and always will be, the most important. So I dropped out with the understanding that competing was something I would never be able to do. 


Enter some friends from a fitness forum who showed me the light and that there is a different way to prep. That fitting into your target macros the foods you want (yes still healthy, wholesome) will still give you results and still work at getting you to stage. What?! How is this possible?? Well, these friends followed this approach and had even better results with it, enjoyed their preps, and didn't have any drastic effects post show. Like I did post drop-out where I suddenly found myself battling binges and a very unhealthy relationship with food that I overcame over the past 2 years - another post for another time. I always felt bad about not fulfilling that goal in the past and it was always nagging me in the back of my head that I wanted to do a show. Now, after the enlightening experience of being able fit in what you want and as long as you see results the food still being safe thrilled me. I could do that. And I am doing that. And, yep, it's working. So when you see my competition eats don't be (too) surprised at the variety. Variety is the spice of life after all. And no goal should be pure torture to reach. 


Breakfast Pre Workout
oats w/ 15g dried fruit & 30g All The Whey protein powder
 
Post Workout - Favorite aka BIG Meal
100g Southwest Eggbeaters
Trader Joe's Mango chicken sausage
130g apple w/ 20g ff strawberry spread
coffee w/ 2oz unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Lunch
3.25oz ground turkey w/ 35g salsa, 2tsp taco season, 15g ff cheese
100g strawberries sliced
18g natural peanut butter

Pre-Cardio Snack - mmmm chocolate
All the Whey chocolate pp w/ 1c unsweetened choc almond milk
Cookies & Cream Luna bar (thats right!)

Dinner
4oz grilled shrimp in cajun seasoning
125g french style green beans


So there you have it. A day in the life of my eats. And for the record that all adds up to 128 Carbs / 31 Fat / 138 Protein ;) 

8 comments:

  1. That Luna bar looks delish! I'm gonna look up the ingredients to see if it's something my sensitive tummy can handle!!

    I'm down w/ variety! WOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at how pretty your food looks :) Althugh the poor shrimp look soo teeny LOL!

    Jerry looked at your pictures of your food and said... "tell her that I know stands there and eats with her hands.." LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey tiners..it's sunny, not sure how this whole blog thing works but i'd figure i'll try it out and tell you that i love your outlook on the comp and your meals are looking DELISH! :D keep it up girly girl! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tina, foods look amazing! I totally agree with you about 10 foods comp dieting. I'm so glad I switched to a coach with a more extensive foods list when I did! Oh, and I'm going to Trader Joes today specifically for those mango chicken sausages, they look amazing. WOOHOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy eats and you sure have some great presentation skillz happening with the shrimp and green beans. :)

    I agree with Genie that the Luna bar looks very delish!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments ladies. I do enjoy my food a lot and it still gives me progress so Im a happy camper. Who knows when some it may have to go though closer to show. But it's staying as long as possible.

    And Amy - I put it like that so it looked like more food. It was a sad little pile o'shrimp otherwise! LOL

    Mandy - tell Jerry to stop giving away all my secrets! Buahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome job on keeping it real with the food choices!

    ReplyDelete